To have an Eagle Scout graduate from one high school can be considered an accomplishment. But to have SEVEN from one school could possibly a record, if those kind were kept.
That will be the case Friday when the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Class of 2023 walks across the stage of the Montagne Center.
Seven scouts from two Troops in Orange. Troop 1 is lead by Scoutmaster Billy Kratzer and Troop 23, lead by James Broussard.
The LCM Class of ’23 Eagle Scouts include from Troop 1, Ace Vandervoort and Mikey Charrier. From Troop 23, Ian Broussard, Keaton Morphew, Cole Watson, Slade Stout and Trace Hollifield. If seven from one school isn’t impressive enough, consider only 3% of Scouts make it to the rank of Eagle Scout.
According to Boy Scouts of America, Scouts must earn 21 badges before earning the rank of Eagle Scout.
Scoutmaster Broussard said, “These Scouts were all in Cub Scouts together through the 5th grade then crossed over to Scouts BSA. They are all exceptional students and all have devoted hundreds of hours of community service between their years in Scouting. They all had to complete an Eagle project of service as part of their rank advancement to Eagle. These projects all benefited the community in one way or another.”
Their projects included:
1. Ace Vandervoort – Benches and picnic tables for First Presbyterian Church in Orange.
2. Mikey Charrier – Planter boxes for Fields of Hope.
3. Ian Broussard – New pedestrian bridge at Northway Park.
4. Keaton Morphew – new walkway with seating and lighting along with a water line for the fire ring at North Orange Baptist Church.
5. Cole Watson – Benches and picnic tables for Little Cypress Intermediate School.
6. Slade Stout – GaGa ball pit, picnic tables and electric outlet for North Orange Baptist Church.
7. Trace Hollifield – Giving Boxes for the needy in orange staged at the Orange Public Library and at Meals on Wheels.
Remember the names of these young men as I’m sure you’re going to hear bigger and better things from them in the years to come.
-Gary Stelly, KOGT-