(Wednesday, 6pm) -The National Weather Service in Lake Charles is monitoring an active tropical pattern.
A tropical wave stretches across eastern Cuba and the Bahamas. NHC gives this system a medium 40% chance for tropical development through Friday, and a 60% chance through the weekend. This system could become a tropical depression near the Bahamas or Florida as early as Friday, and could strengthen as it enters the eastern Gulf of Mexico this weekend. Since this system is still in the development stage, where it could make landfall or how strong it will be in the Gulf of Mexico is still uncertain. All interests in the Gulf should continue to monitor this potential system this week and weekend.
Locally the NWS is forecasting higher than normal rain chances this weekend, and tides will run a foot above normal, which will cause minor coastal flooding during high tides.
Two tropical waves further out in the Atlantic have a low 10-30% chance for tropical development through the weekend. NWS will monitor these systems as one of them could be in the Caribbean next week. It is too early to say if it will reach the Gulf, or how strong it would be in the Gulf.